Some people think that it would be too expensive to serve and have healthy dishes for every meal. It’s actually more of an excuse when one is reluctant to munch on healthy bites and prefer to have fastfood. Been there, done that. After having aches and pains and too many health-related inconveniences, my husband and I have decided to be more intentional in our food choices – eating healthy as often as we can. You read that right; “as often as we can” and not “all the time”. I want us to have a healthy disposition as we commit to have a healthier diet. I don’t want us to feel repressed when we eat. That would only make us prone to binge or eat more unhealthy food.
It’s a good thing that we have more option when it comes to finding healthy eats. I am glad that even in the office, my husband has access to grab-and-go healthy meals that he can eat in a jiffy on a meeting-filled day. Miziz is his source of healthy, yummy, and not to mention, affordable sandwiches. My husband’s favorite is the Chicken Pesto with Cheese sandwich. One time, he brought one home for me and I was able to figure out why he liked it. It was made from flavorful grilled chicken and tasty pesto. I am not a fan of pesto but I was able to enjoy that sandwich up to the last bite.
The Hubs has shared bits and pieces of the story behind Miziz. I have learned that it was the brain-child of the wife of his colleague. I got curious and so on one of the family events in the office, I took the opportunity to sit down and talk to The Miziz. Here’s what I have found out:
- Christine has a passion for cooking ever since she was single. She is a stay-at-home mom to three boys and wife to a man who has a distinctive palate.
- She wanted to try her hand in making pan de sal for her family’s consumption. Over time, she kept on baking and tweaking her recipe until she finally got it perfect.
- When she got confident with her pan de sal making skills, she tried to use that dough to make pizza. Her husband brought some to his office and it became a hit. Orders started to come in.
- They went full blast with their little home-based biz in September 2015 and operated under the name Miziz. It became a family affair with her husband helping out with the preparations and their two helpers taking care of the packaging.
- Aside from pizza, Miziz also offers cakes and sandwiches. They have experimented with different flavor combinations like the Pizza Burger Sandwich, BBQ Sandwich (best paired with coleslaw, according to Christine), Chicken Pesto Sandwich (their bestseller), Laing Pizza, All Veggies Pizza, and their Kawawa Pizza (sardines and veggies).
- The Miziz Laing was from a recipe that was passed on to them by her husband’s Bicolana grandmother. When serving Laing, Christine buys young gabi leaves fresh from the market and cooks them over charcoal for two hours.
- Miziz plans to participate in bazaars as soon as they have acquired a portable heater.
Miziz is currently accepting orders via their Facebook page. Their physical store will be opened soon. Watch out for their announcement!